Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Memory Keepers Daughter

The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards was a really good read. It is beautifully written and has wonderful character development. I think I most enjoyed the twins - the two children the story focuses around. For me their story was the most interesting and important. I almost wish the story had focused more on them and less on the parents.

I also found some plot changes to be a bit abrupt. Momentous things happened to main characters and it is just sort of thrown at you. I'm not sure how the author could have done any better but I just felt a little cheated for lack of a better way to describe it.

Kind of like coming home one day and haing our mom yell from the laundry room that the dog died. Just a little too abrupt and matter of fact. You would think you would get a little more "feed in" before the actual news is dropped into your lap.

But aside from some abrupt plot turns I really did enjoy this story. Part of me hopes that she writes a follow-up novel. I would love to spend more time with the twins.

No comments: