Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sophie's World



Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder - I read this book a few years back. I picked it up because I had always enjoyed the idea of Philosophy and the great philosophers but found the reading material about them very dry. And the classes I took in college seemed to always put me in a coma.

This book should be required reading in Philosophy 101. It is fantastic. The story of a young girl, Sophie, who is taught philosophy by Albert. I enjoyed this book as a fictional novel in and of itself. But it was the philosophy lessons interwoven amongst the story that really made this an enjoyable book. I felt like I got more bang for the proverbial buck. A great story and an education.

Curious about understanding philosophy - this is a great place to start.

No comments: