Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The Golden Compass



The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman has been on my reading list for ages. I thought about reading it when the movie was coming out but of course there were other books that I just HAD to read. But then a friend said to me that she wasn't going to let her kids see the movie because it is about a couple of kids that set out to kill god. Well, hell, of course I had to read the book now. I need to find out for myself just what this series is about.

And though I still don't know what Mr. Pullman's message (if any) is, I do know that this is a fantastic series. I am about 100 pages into book two (The Subtle Knife) and at least thus far there is no mention, nor any quest to kill god. God really doesn't come into it yet. There is some hints and references to great beings, but nothing obvious or harped on.

All I know is, when I pick up the book and start to read the entire world around me disappears. And if I have to stop reading i have to pull myself out of the beautiful and fascinating worlds Mr. Pullman has created.

I can't wait to finish this series. It is marvelous. I'm thankful for the controversy or I might never have put this at the top of my oh so long reading list.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I discovered your review and hpe you don't mind that I linked to it with my review...I am also linking your blog at my book review blog.

Michelle Olsen Sasak said...

I found your review by way of Manic Bookworm's Ballroom. I really enjoyed it as well. I think you've described the book wonderfully, and I love the quote about reading on your blog's header. I reviewed the Golden Compass on my book blog, if you care to click over and see what I thought. Take care :)