Monday, November 17, 2008

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle


Oh, where to begin.
My buddy Mike told my dad to read this one. WAY before Oprah by the way.
I had seen this, heard about it, and wanted to read it until.............
It made that damn Oprah list.
And well, stubborn mule that I am, as soon as Oprah tells people to read it, I avoid it like the plague.
But, Dad kept nagging me. Read it, read it. Did you get it yet? You have to go get it. READ IT!
Alright, alright, so I ordered it. I had to hunt around to find a copy that wasn't tainted by the Oprah sticker.
Ok, well, what can I say. I described it to a friend as One of THE BEST books I have ever read and one of THE WORST books I have ever read.
Does that even remotely make sense?
Given the wild swing in reviews if you check out Barnes and Nobles site, I'm not surprised I feel the way I do. It gets 1 star or 5 from people. Loved it or hated it.
I can admit that I felt both.
I saw a lot of my own dogs in this story. Not the well trained and obedient part. But the companion part.
I have given to calling Sophie my Lil Almondine.
The story in and of itself was disturbing and infuriating. But very well told.
The sign of a good author and a well written book is one that can put your emotions all over the map. Laughter, tears, sadness, anger, etc. This story runs the full spectrum.
It is beautifully written. It really is. And it made me fall deeper in love with my dogs.
I think this is one of those books that you have to experience and decide for yourself.
I am glad I read it. And I marvel at the range of emotions this book provokes.
I think each reader will have their very own, very individual, experience. And you can't say that about many books.

No comments: