Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Nautical Chart


The Nautical Chart by Aruro Perez-Reverte was described as a swashbuckling adventure. And to a certain point it was. One of the "problems" I had when I read this was that it takes place in modern day Spain. And I think I am so "Pirates of the Carib." obsessed that I had to keep bringing my mind through time to the present. The word cell phone just tripped me up. And that is TOTALLY my problem, not the authors. I love this guys writing style. This is the third book I have read by him and he has me hooked and loyal.
The story is about a sailor that currently finds himself without a ship. He, Coy, has been suspended from his career for two years due to an accident. It wasn't his fault but he was the navigator on duty at the time of the collision. So while in his land wanderings he meets a beautiful woman named Tanger. She has become obsessed with finding a boat that sunk off the coast near Cartegena. So the story revolves around Tanger's quest and Coy's willingness to help her. Love, intrigue, murder. It's all there.
It's a fun story. But if you are looking for spell binding page turners this isn't quite it. Mr. Perez-Reverte likes to build his stories with beautiful prose and "deep thoughts and reflections". That does not mean this story is boring, not by any means. It's a beautiful and interesting tale told by a master of prose.

No comments: