Monday, August 27, 2007

84 Charring Cross Road



84, Charring Cross Road by Helene Hunff was a book I noticed on a friends blog. I told my dad about it and he bought it and read it that same day. He even let dinner get cold because he wanted to finish it. Then Mom read it that night. He called me to tell me I had to get it.

So of course I did. And I read it in one sitting. Grant you the book is just about 97 pages so it's not all that much to read, no super impressive feat here.

But this is a wonderful story covering the correspondence between a book lover in New York and a book dealer in London. Bitter sweet, full of laughter and fondness this is undoubtedly a fantastic read.

I went to get it at Barnes and Noble but I had forgotten my book list so I wasn't sure of the author. I went up to the customer service desk for assistance and I barely got out the "84 Charr................." when the guy interrupted me and said "OH, fantastic book, I hope we have a copy in stock because you simply MUST read it." They didn't but he found one at a store on my way home and he had them put it on hold for me. He also let me know that they made a movie out of it that was equally fantastic.

Pick it up at your local library. It's a hefty $13.00 for the 90 pages, I intend to pass it on, in fact if you read this, Kell, it's on the way......................

No comments: