Monday, August 27, 2007

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco was on the clearance shelf at Barnes and Noble. The idea behind the story was fascinating so I picked it up.
The main character in the book suffers from a stroke and looses his memory of who he is. He doesn't know anything about his past, his wife, or his children.

But he does remember every book he ever read with precise clarity.

This is the story of his journey into remembering and piecing together his past.
I found this book fascinating, and very informative. A great deal of the story focuses on life in Italy during WWII. Overall I liked this book. At times I was getting a little distracted but for the most part I was so fascinated by the politics and culture of Italian life. This is not edge of your seat reading. But it is interesting and I might even have learned a few things.
A while back I picked up Baudilino by Eco but I wasn't able to get into the story and gave up on it. Or I should say that I shelved it for another time. I enjoyed this one so much for the sheer cortical stimulation that I picked up The Name of the Rose which is probably his most famous work. And I will give Baudilino a second try....................

No comments: