Sunday, October 21, 2007


Love and Other Impossible Pursuits by Ayelet Waldman - Typically I wouldn't read a book on the subject of marriage, children, loss and the struggles of step motherhood. But this story got a great write up when it was first published. And I'm a sucker for great write-ups.
Basically this story is about Emilia and her struggles with the loss of her new born child, trying to deal with an over privileged, spoiled, and incredibly intelligent young stepson, the ex-wife, and coming to terms with what her marriage is really about.
Had I just read the book description it would have been back on the shelf. But because of the write up I read it. And I really enjoyed the story. I can't relate to the character but I can empathise and understand where she is coming from. And were I in her shoes I don't think I would have acted much differently. I guess I saw a lot of myself in the story and the type of person I might have been if I had made different choices in my life.
I think the New York Times review says it all:
The New York Times - Chelsea Cain
Love and Other Impossible Pursuits is clearly out to irritate some Mommy groups. It may also be the first chick-lit novel (it features, after all, a young career woman who falls in love with her boss, shops and worries about her relationships) that in addition to being a romantic, shocking and sometimes painful page-turner does the unthinkable: it actually says something new and interesting about women, families and love.

No comments: