Thursday, June 01, 2006

Dhampir, Last Days of Summer, and Shantaram - 3 for one book review special


Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee
This is a cool story. It was described as a Lord of the Rings meets Buffy. And I guess that is a good way to describe it.

Basically it's about three companions, a woman, a half-elf, and a dog. They were travelers that would con villages out of money by getting rid of their vampire problems. But Magiere the female in the group wants an end to their lifestyle so she buys a tavern in a little town by the seaside. Unbenownst to her a family of real vampires also inhabit the town. And it becomes Magiere's job to rid her new little hamlet of these creatures.



Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger

One of the best books I have ever read. It was laugh out loud funny, delightfully entertaining, and of course made me shed a tear or two. Or actually a whole rivers worth but that's ok. A friend of my dad's gave it to him to read and then dad told me I had to read it which of course I did. This is one of those rare stories that I won't forget anytime soon. And I have told everyone I know about it.

It's the story of a lost little boy whose father all but abandons him for a new life. The boy starts up a pen pal relationship with a baseball player. The story is told through letters, report cards, news paper clippings, and telegrams. There is no actual story text in the book. And as choppy as you would think it would be moving only from letter to letter and clipping to clipping this story flows surprising well. And the characters are well developed. This is a very fast and wonderful must read!



Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
I blogged on this one a lot while I was reading it. Because I could gush about this book for hours I will simply say that it is in my top 5 favorite books of all time. This is the story of an escaped convict who settles in India. While there he opens a free medical clinic within the slums. This book is honest, it is harsh, violent, and incredibly moving at the same time. There are sentences and even whole paragraphs that took my breath away.

No comments: