Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows



Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling was a satisfying end to a wonderful series. No spoilers, I promise. I will simply say that it was a really good read and I am sad that the series is over. But I hope that if Rowling continues her writing career her direction changes. I feel that the story is complete and perfect as it stands. Don't mess with perfection.

She achieved something greater than just a good series with Harry Potter. She caused generations of children and adults alike to discover the joy of reading. People who would normally never pick up a book did so to read Harry.

I would nominate this book for the Pulitzer this year. NOT because of the book itself but rather everything that went along with it. The entire planet was reading Harry Potter July 21st. No one has ever achieved a feat on that scale. No one in the history of writing has gotten so many people together with one goal. And I admire that. I don't know if we will ever see such an achievement ever duplicated again. But I thank Ms. Rowling for helping millions discover the joy of reading.

No comments: