Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Master


The Master by Colm Toibin was a very beautifully written book. This book has been on my list of must reads for a few years. It was recognized by both the NY Times and the LA Times as one of the best works of fiction. I can see why.
However, as beautifully written as this book was it was, for lack of a better description, tedious reading. As much as I enjoyed it I also kept looking to see how much more I had left to read.
It covers 4 years in he life of Henry James. Through memories and flashbacks it covers a greater span of the author's life, but the basic story covers from 1895 to 1899. I found it interesting, enlightening, and educational. But again, at the price of being a little slow going. Grant you I read this book in just a few days but still, it became more of a "get it done" sort of task. The book was so well written that I wanted to finish it, it deserved to be read. However it didn't grasp and hold my undivided attention. I found there to be many instances in which my mind had wandered though I kept reading the words and a page or two later had to stop and go back because I had no idea what I had been reading.
Don't let my thoughts dissuade you from reading this book. Like I said, it's beautifully written. And I knew nothing about Henry James so I found this very interesting. The scenery and descriptions of London, Venice, Florence, Rome, English countryside were worth it alone.

No comments: